3DS Max – Modelling a Car (Work in Progress))

Over the Half-Term holidays I have began several side projects, including modelling a high-polygon car following numerous tutorials.  The car itself was based upon the Maserati Gran Turismo Stradale and I gathered numerous reference images from various angles to allow me to see the car at 360 degrees.

Maserati Gran Turismo Stradale

As you can probably see, I could have picked a more simple shaped car, however I wanted to choose something increasingly challenging which offers me to learn numerous new skills and techniques.

Setting up Blue Prints

The tutorials used a system of setting up blueprints in 3DS Max to allow me to use as a guide when manipulating vertices into place within the 3D space.  However, I had difficulty sourcing the precise blueprints of the car and was only able to find some low quality images.  I decided to continue with these images and adjust the design when it did not quite match the tutorial, also offering me a chance to be creative in altering the design.

blog1

The setup consisted of four planes which have been sized to match the size of each image from various aspects. Ensuring the images were symmetrical, I then applied each corresponding image as a material to each plane. The top view was positioned centrally to point (0,0,0), whilst the remaining images were positioned around it (as shown above).

Also, I made sure to select all the planes and accessed the “display” options to activate “backface cull” to make the planes transparent when viewing from behind to avoid hindering your view.

Progress So Far

The above images show the current progress of the car, with the following elements still to complete:

  • Front Mesh Grill
  • Front Headlights
  • Back Taillights
  • Front Scoops on Hood
  • Brake Disks on Wheel
  • Any extra small detailing

I am really pleased with the model at its current stage with it being evident that it is much more complex than anything I have created recently.  The main problem I have came across during this project is with the much larger polygon count, it becomes a lot more intensive on my hardware, causing longer loading and rendering times.  Also, under inspection the cars main body has a few “bubbling” issues on its surface, meaning it is not as smooth as I desire.  When completing my final clean-up of the model, I intend the manipulate the responsible vertices to a position which corrects this issue.

In up-coming posts I will go into more depth of the some of the techniques I learned and used whilst completing this project.  Also, I will provide a time-lapse clip of the model being created, from beginning to end.

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s