For our apartment environment within Unreal, I wanted to start creating some futuristic / modern furniture to fill the bulk of the space. I wanted to concentrate on the futuristic style as that was the initial brief and I feel the project has slightly diverted away from that.
I decided on creating a bed as I felt I could have add some creativity into its design but also, as they are usually quite large would help fill the scene. I wanted a bed with a canopy to add an interesting shape and started gathering some inspirational images.
From the images I gathered, I liked the idea of having nice flowing edges / corners to add to the futuristic feel. I wanted to have a solid top to the canopy to allow for storage upon it and would also, reduce the number of polygons from a modelling point of view.
When choosing the design of the bed, I also thought which designs could be transferable into other furniture such as drawers and desks. This would add continuity to the scene, ensuring everything matched and fit together.
Before beginning to model the bed, I did some research into the recommended / usual dimensions of a typical double to king-size bed. Also, looking into the average height of a four-poster or canopied bed. This would help me ensure the scale was correct when transferring this into 3DS Max and my design.
The main issues when modelling my bed was the topology on the rounded corners of the frame. The issue started to occur when attempting to chamfer the corner edges to produce a smooth curve. After a number of attempts and tests, I found a corner and topology I was happy with which allowed for continuous flowing edges around the model, both when chamfering and extruding the faces.
When trying to chamfer the internal corner edge, 3DS Max divided the face into an almost diamond shape with many extra vertices. Whilst it achieved the effect I was after, I felt it created my unnecessary polygons and would not allow for good edge flow throughout the model.
I was really pleased with this design as it provided the desired effect I was after and also contained pretty good topology allowing for edges to flow around the model. However, I still felt I could improve on the edge flow but also, reduce the number of polygons in it.
Attempt 3 (Final):
This was to be my final design. It provided the perfect topology for when I extruded the model outwards, whilst maintaining a low polygon count. One thing I have to make sure of when using this method however, is that both corners are chamfered to the same amount to allow me to connect opposite vertices correctly.
Another issue I overcame when producing these tests was a problem when I was trying the chamfer the entire outer edge to produce a round shape which was vital to the design.
Here are some images showing the problems which occurred.
As you can see, 3DS Max had trouble chamfering correctly with my first two attempts.
My final attempt removed these issues.
After overcoming this problem, the rest of the model assembled fairly simply. Using numerous insets and extrusions described in previous blog posts, I was able to create the basic frame of the bed.
I had created the side-profile of the bed-frame, however I had a vertex which had no edge attached at these two points, which may cause issues when triangulating the model on export. I added and welded a swift-loop to correct the problem, however this increased the polygon count. I may look into ways into improving the efficiency of the topology once the model is complete.
I then extrude the model along the “y” axis to produce half a 3d bed shape ready to mirror. Using a number of insets and minus extrusions to cut away at the model to sculpt the desired design.
Making sure I had removed all the faces of the model at the point where the mirror modification would be applied, to avoid any overlapping faces which would stop me from welding the separate sections together.
I then applied the mirror modification along the “z” axis to create a copy. Remembering to weld the sections together and removing the unnecessary edges and vertices to reduce the polygon count.
It was at this point, that I felt the base did not look completely correct as it does not look sturdy enough to support the full structure of the bed. I decided to amend this section to be a solid shape, rather than hollow.
Also, I added a cut out the the frame of the bed as a wanted to add a curtain and curtain rail to run along it.
The cut outs were achieved by selecting the desired faces along the frame and applying a 1cm inset. this was then extruded locally by 5cm.
The final component I wanted to correct was the cut-out at the head of the bed, as this was not deep enough for it purpose of holding the curtains.
For this I had to enter the wire-frame mode and adjust the vertices manually with the snap settings activated. The adjust vertices are highlighted in red.
The final model included around 1000 polygons, which could be reduced if I decreased the amount of chamfer of the model, however I feel this is vital to the appearance of the bed. On the other hand, I still don’t feel the amount of polygons is bad due to its size and the amount of space it will fill in the scene.
The final dimensions also fall within the guidelines as discussed earlier.
Height = 210cm
Width = 190cm
Length = 260cm