You are defined as a contractor if you work under contract for somebody else for a fixed period to help them complete a project. Contractors are effectively selling their skills and time in return of a fee.
Salary / How are they paid?
A contractors salary is usually based on the employer, and the contractors current skill level.
The main advantages of contracting include:
- Variety of work and projects available to work on
- Are able to take greater control over how and when they work
- You are effectively your own boss, choosing when to work and where
There are a number of disadvantages when contracting:
- Investing time in setting up and maintaining portfolios
- Require previous work experience as you are expected to arrive with the skills and knowledge to complete a project
- No guarantee of work available
Examples of Contracting Job Adverts / Resumés