Group Meeting and QA Testing

Today we re-visited our Unreal 4 environment project, firstly by gathering in our initial smaller groups.  I took charge to chair the meeting, taking notes / minutes as it progressed.

The main aim of the meeting was to get an idea where we currently stand with our apartment environment and how to develop it from there. I took it upon myself to volunteer to QA test all the produced and submitted models currently sitting in the groups shared folder.

For the other members of the group, I suggested we prioritised the models in which we want to finalise completely first. These models would be those most important to the apartments visuals, usually the largest to help fill the scene.

The main issues I was scrutinizing for when quality assurance testing the groups models were:

  • Is the file exported correctly as a .FBX file if a static mesh and .PNG for textures
  • Was the file-path saved in the correct format. Example:

“SM_LOCATIONOBJECTTYPE_YOURNAME.FBX”

“TEX_LOCATIONOBJECTTYPE_YOURNAME.PNG”

  • Was the object modeled cleanly, negating any overlapping vertices or faces. This can cause issues when rendering within Unreal 4 where textures will not display correctly.
  • Was the model correctly UV Unwrapped, or at all. Keeping an eye out for any stretched / warped textures on the faces of the model. This again can cause issues when texturing, furthermore when casting shadows within the Unreal 4 engine.
  • Lastly, just general opinions on the model created. Whether it was suitable for the environment and if it was completed to a respectable quality.

Another issue I came across was the varied scale of the objects created by each individual, which will slow down the process when exporting into Unreal as everything will have to be re-scaled correctly.  I intend to notify the group, to ensure they are using the correct Unit Scale within 3D Studio Max which in my opinion, should be set to a CM scale. If not, to take into consideration the dimensions of the model they are creating to remove this issue in the future.

Lastly, I set up a shared spreadsheet including conditional colour coding to help list and display each model I had QA tested. I included a note section, briefly describing the fault (if any), so each individual in the group could clearly identify any problems they need to fix.

This is the spreadsheet so far:

qatest

 

NOTE: I found myself QA testing my own models which I had produced. Whilst I found no issues once under inspection, the correct action would to have another team member look over my creations.

Overall, I was really surprised how much I enjoyed QA testing other peoples work and providing feedback for them. This also benefited myself, as it highlight any issues and errors I should avoid when producing my own models.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s