In addition to the lifting barrier, mentioned in my previous post, I modelled a simple low poly guard post. The reason I wanted the model low poly is the model is intended to be used numerous times and this ensured the poly count stayed low and less intensive on the Unity Game Engine.
This was also mainly a texturing project for myself, an opportunity to put into practice the techniques learned from previous exercises. Also, maintaining continuity with my previous creations for the game, making sure textures, art style and colours used are the same across the board and look like they belong in the same universe.
The model includes very clean topology, ensuring edges flow nicely around the object. Whilst looking simple, the model became more complicated as it is hollow and contains an interior. The method I use included creating a copy of the outer walls and scaling them down on the “x” and “y” axis, ensuring I used the “flip” tool on the interior faces to make sure they face outwards and were visible when rendered. Lastly, using the bridge tool between the interior and outer walls to cap them off. Finalising the model with the addition of a sloped roof and shelf.
Learning from previous mistakes, I ensured I utilised the majority of space available to me. This time I prioritised the exterior walls and roof, assigning them a large percentage of the 1024 x 1024 resolution as these sections are the most viewed by the player. I also reduced the sized of the interior UV’s as these sections are less visible.
I also overlapped the UV of the top and bottom faces of the roof as they will be identical in size and texture, whilst also providing extra space for other sections of the model.
Using the “colour dropper” tool, this allowed me to match colours from my swatch and previous models, creating continuity in my models. This was also achieved using the “match colour” adjustment tool, by mimicking colours from a chosen layer within Photoshop.
Our lecturer, Matty, talked about texturing to tell a story. This meant having textures that matched the environment, its surroundings and its use.
Main points of the textures I used:
- Flaked paint on the outer walls of the hut, due to the cold and windy conditions. Applied as an overlay over the wood texture using a “hard light” filter.
- Rust leaking down the roof and walls due to water eroding the edges of the corrugated metal. These are a mixture of decals and paint brush techniques using the “multiply” filter.
- Dampness around the edges, corners, top and bottom of the hut where the wet weather has absorber into the wood. Again, created by using brush techniques blended using the “multiply” filter.
- The addition of grime and dirt to give the look of it being old and run-down using the same techniques as above.
- Lastly, the addition of red and white hazard tape to the edges of the hut, as it would be situated near the road and barricade. This makes it look intended for use, allowing vehicle drivers to see the hut clearly when pulling up along side it.
Overall, I was really pleased with the final model I had produced. The favourite part being the addition of decals which help tell a story to the player, whilst matching its environment. I wish to work on my brush / painting techniques whilst in Photoshop to enable me to create more varied and professional looking textures.
I feel my UV unwrapping has came along way and I feel very comfortable completing this method in relatively quick time. I have also started helping other people within the class with this, which also gives me confidence.
I think my models / textures are continuing to improve and feel this is evident through the models displayed through previous blog posts.