Public Rubbish Bin – Modelled and UV UnWrapped

Over the weekend, I tasked myself on completing numerous models using the 3DS Max software. The model I was particularly satisfied with was the public bin, which as a bonus, will fit nicely within our class environment.

On Sunday, my girlfriend and I went for a walk around the local park and I found myself getting distracted by a number of interestingly shaped objects which would challenge my modelling. I started taking pictures using my phone as a reference, allowing me to use these photographs as inspiration.

IMG_0945 IMG_0956 IMG_0957 IMG_0961 IMG_0962 IMG_0964

I was particularly interested in objects which had the potential to be included in our class projects and environments.  However, I also wanted a model which would push my current modelling skills, providing me an opportunity to learn more.

IMG_0958

I came across this public bin.  I was immediately interested by the cylindrical metal frame, including cross sections, and I began to think how this would be achievable within the software’s restrictions.  I started with a simple cylinder and used the “hinge from edge” tool to create the angled corner, further extending the cylinder to create the cross beam.

Angle

This is the point when it became tricky.  Using the face tool, I selected the horizontal section and create an exact copy. I then moved it down a the “z” axis to the desired position. and used this cylinder as a template whilst I used the “cut” tool to remove a section from the existing pipe. Adjusting the pivot to allow me to snap the vertex to the correct position, I began pulling the individual vertices along the “y” axis, ensuring they match perfectly. Once happy, I attached the two separate pieces, removed the unwanted faces and welded the resulting overlapping vertices.

Angle2

I repeated the process for additional horizontal sections, this time along the “x” axis.

Angle3

Once I was happy with this corner section, I used the “mirror” modifier on both the “x” and “y” axis, in order to complete the full frame. Adding further extrusions and bevels to the underside to create feet on which the bin can stand on.

frame

From here, I began to box out the shape of the bin, deleting the required sides from the cylinder within the frame and bridging the gaps. Ensuring in the process, that there are no overlapping vertices or faces using the “XView” menu.

binAngle

Overall, I was really please how the model turned out, especially as it looked very close to my reference image. I learned a few techniques, including “hinge from edge” and extruding along a spline. Also, using my own techniques to enable me to create cross-sections within a cylindrical shape, which will come in very handy in the future for more complex models. I feel I need to improve the speed in which I can create models and I understand this will improve with practice. I will also begin setting deadlines for myself as an incentive to improve speed in which I model.

Lastly, I UV unwrapped  the model ready for texturing.  This unwrap differed from previous models as it included many projections around a cylinder. The final unwrap is displayed below:

BinUVTemplate

You can see how this is broke down into individual sections as displayed by the green lines.

BINUV

All that remains is the addition of textures and I aim to have this complete by the end of the week, as set in my personal SMART target.

bins

Advertisements

One thought on “Public Rubbish Bin – Modelled and UV UnWrapped

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s